Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 17 November 2015

The Making Framework

Hi Everyone
We have another Air Dry Clay workshop today in the Making Framework. This will be the second of 3 workshops focussing on using Air Dry Clay. Last time we made little bowls and Christmas tags. 
I also introduced the idea of  a little Christmas Tree - to be finished with felting (from scratch). This is how it will look eventually :

                           
The idea is there but we need some modifications. I think we also have another idea for the felted element - hopefully we can develop lots of ideas through our discussions today.

This week we will continue with more bowls/plates and tags but also introduce decoration experiments on the dried bowls using a variety of acrylic mediums and wax seals.

I've been trying out additional Christmas Tree ideas and did consider a coil tree- I wasn't over enthusiastic about the look. The air dry clay is quite a rough/distressed finish and the trees didn't finish well (in my view). However, I will open it up to the group and they can decide for themselves. As an alternative, I've developed a series of star shapes to stack and paint to form a tree. Again, not sure how they will turn out but that's what we are about - experimenting and making art.
I've also made another little dish which I'm calling a fish plate as well as a idea to produce some spoons. The idea here is to inspire the group to use a design to inform a shape. I like to use quite bright colours but in a minimal way ! I also want to try and get a glossy finish too with these pieces and am going to develop a glaze idea using glue, nail varnish and water ? No idea if it will work ? - but we can give it a go.
I will share the results of our work next time but here is a quick look at the experiments which will hopefully inspire ideas for today.

                                  

Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment