Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 4 May 2020

Sewing Project News

Hi Everyone 
I’m back with an update of my latest sewing project. This is a dress from one of my recent birthday gifts, a Japanese pattern book ( check it out here). I love this book. Everything about the book is beautiful. The fact that it’s written in Japanese doesn’t make any difference. The photos are lovely and the instruction drawings are perfect. I was slightly anxious before tracing the pattern but no need. I can highly recommend the book. 

I have some lovely check fabric from Seasalt and have managed to squeeze the pattern into three separate 1m lengths. I have quite a bit left from one of the pieces and am considering making a small shawl. All kinds of hand embroidery ideas have appeared in my head - for finishing the edges of the shawl. However, I’m not sure about the final length of my dress - I may need to add an extra bit to lengthen. I’ve already decided to use this as a design feature and top stitch to highlight the feature, if required. This would have an impact on my shawl idea ! 

Back to progress, all I’ve managed to do, is make the pattern, cut out and complete the neckline for the front and back. Today, I’m planning to add the pockets and sleeves. There’s not too much more to do !  This, like all the other patterns in the book are very simple but beautiful shapes. I’m very keen to have neat and precise finishing details so will be taking my time and thinking through each stage, very carefully. I’m enjoying taking everything very slowly. It feels luxurious and very calming. I like to get lost in my sewing - this project is perfect for this moment.

Here’s  a quick look at the fabric and the neckline detail as well as the finished dress sample from the book. As you can see, each of the patterns has a small and large application of the design. Such a wonderful idea.

                   

Hopefully, I will have the finished item for my next post later this week. I’m aiming to publish Thursday or Friday.
Thanks for calling in today.
Keep safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment