Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Beaded Insects and 'shims'




Hi Everyone
It's a lovely morning today, very cold but bright and sunny. Yesterday, I took a picture to show the weather and several people enjoyed seeing the scene ! So, I thought I would show another today. Here it is. Apologies for the window frame - it's the only way to get the sky in !



I've done another handmade stamp and am now going to stick with that for my January painting. I need to make more images using different colours. Here is the progress to date.



I've also added George and Ronnie (in the centre) - lots more work but I'm going to fill the scene with plants (made from the stamps). I want to experiment with colours and then need to spend a few days blending and adding paint to bring the elements together. I think it's going OK, so far.

I mentioned another new book several few days ago. The book is this one



I want to make some of these little insects to add to my January painting. At the moment my plan is to make a few insects and attach them to a hanging ribbon or some other hanging 'thing' rather than embed them into the painting. However, anything could happen.
The insects in the book should look like those in the photo. Advice is to make a butterfly first because that's simpler. I, of course, don't want to do that ! I think the butterflies are pretty but I'm drawn to the other insects more. I especially like the moths or the beetle in the middle. I will,however, follow advice and do a butterfly as a 'practice prototype'. Then, I will be in a better position to decide what I can do at this stage. My skills may need to be 'developed' !



Now, for episode 3 in 'The Die Cut Chronicles'. I've chosen another thin die cut for today. This one shows a more detailed cut and from experience I know clean cuts are not always easy with this particular die.



The die is called 'Sparkle#2'. The stems of the sparkle shape are very thin and often don't cut out unless the paper and pressure is exactly right. I will give it a go with a direct cut as per yesterday. I'm using thin computer print paper.






The cut actually looks good, however, when I try remove the shape it's not cut cleanly in the centre. The next photo shows where the shape is stuck. When I try to remove the shape it's tearing. My solution is the add layers of paper or thin card to add a 'shim' to the 'sandwich'. To make the 'shim', I'm going to layer two bits of card on the non cutting side of the die.






I'm centring the extra card 'shim' and will cut out the shape again. As I pass the sandwich through the side kick, I can feel its more of a effort to turn the handle. If its too thick, you can feel it would break the machine (if it feels as if it would break, it probably will). I guess this is just down to experience. Occasionally, I have abandoned the cut but not often.



This is how it looks now and I know this is OK as the lines are now clearly cut.



I now have a perfect shape by using the 'shim'.

That's about it for today.

Back tomorrow, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment