Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 21 January 2013

Snow and more Die Cut Chronicles




Hi Everyone
Another very winters scene today



It's snowing here again - quite hard and wet ! I've just spent about an hour shovelling. It's instead of my run. Our life is rather dominated with the weather at the moment, all kinds of activities are cancelled. However, I'm looking forward to a day painting or doing something similar.

I've a little progress to report re the January painting - time is running out for January so the pressure is on. Hopefully, I can 'race' ahead today. Here is the work done to date.



I've added much more colour than I had I originally expected. There needs to be lots of work re integrating the elements you can see but it's going OK so far.

The Die Cut Chronicles for today will focus on my Quickcutz system. I rarely use this machine but I'm doing a single episode on this and it's the first time Ive used it for several years. Maybe, I will start using it again. I've chosen two dies for the first example.



This die is a snow flake shape and the other is an impression die. I've been in the bin again for a piece of thickish paper and an old tag (cut from printer paper). My first attempt at cutting is poor - I'd forgotten exactly what to do ?I need to press the machine very hard several times to cut through the paper.



Eventually, I did cut through the paper by pressing the plates together several times (as you can see)but the tag cut didn't work as I simply squeezed it once ! I do like the range of shapes offered by Quickcutz. They are very simple but with sophisticated lines. This machine, however, can only cope with small size shapes - within the 5cm x 5cm die. I do like the simplicity of the system, even with the limitations.
The next few photos gives an idea of how the system works with the hand held machine.





My last look at the Quickcutz involves another shape (circle die) and an impression die. The circle cuts a ring at the same time - often useful for contrasting colours of textures.



The impression die is a series of diamonds with a dot. I've chosen to 'emboss' (the name given when using the impression die) the circle. The shape is sandwiched in the folder die.



As you can see the impression is great. I've shown both sides which give a different texture to the paper.





I think the impression aspect of this system is the best. I can also use these very thin Quickcutz dies with my Sizzix system (with an additional piece of equipment, I will deal with this next time). Hope you found this useful, its certainly jogged my memory. I don't see the Quickcutz around much these days. A bigger and more sophisticated machine is now available for this system, perhaps, my little hand held machine is obsolete ! I know at the time I bought it, it was very exciting for me.

One other little bit news - a new purse/wallet arrived this morning. I've been meaning to replace my current purse for some time and finally have found this one. It's a tad larger than I had expected but I like it and its got some lovely images on it.






That's it for now. Bye for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment