Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Book Talk




Hi Everyone
It's a bright and crisp morning today. The sky is almost glowing in the East, lovely !

Yesterday, I made my monthly painting the centre of my work focus and I seem to have moved on a little. The original idea for my Jan. offer was way off my final plan. I had started the painting prep Christmas and intended to use the images in Christmas cards. This is the very beginning stages.















I had drawn a version of Barney and Tugger ( two little animal characters I use in several projects) with a Christmas theme. In the post Christmas season, it didn't work. So plan B is to use some of my insect drawings



I may use additional insects too - depends on space. I also have an idea to make some beaded insects and have purchased a book on the subject. I like the idea of using beads in my work and just like my obsession with crochet, I need to find a way of adapting a traditional approach to incorporate into my work. I'm hoping the new book will help me develop some interesting additions to the paintings.

I've also started to experiment with making stamps yesterday. I'm quite pleased with my first try. I need to develop a greater precision but the inspiration from a Christmas book gift is brilliant. Here is a glimpse of my efforts.



The carving bit took quite along time but its a relaxing activity and I found myself enjoying the process. I'm always under pressure to achieve things quickly and this is a very 'slow' thing. As soon as I accepted this, I enjoyed actually spending the time carving. The smaller leaves stamp is made from a small eraser and the mushroom uses something called Speedy-Carve.






I have two carving cutters - they are described as No.2 V-shaped and No.4 U-shaped. I think I need some more varied cutters to help with fine lines and moving around any 'rounded' sections of carving. I think this would improve my final stamp and give more options for making detailed stamps. I've ordered more and can't wait for them to arrive.



I mentioned yesterday, another Christmas book (yet another book gift) that I'm drooling over



Erika Knight creates some amazing stuff and its all beautifully presented. My current favourite is this brooch. It looks simple ! (famous last words!) - I would like to make it and then wear it . I'm currently trying to locate a stone for the brooch.




On another completely different subject, I've had a few questions from people (friends and emailers) asking about using die cuts in my paintings. I do tend to try and incorporate die cuts into my paintings as they give a 'clean form' characteristic to elements of my paintings - I like this. Sometimes, the die shapes don't work (I know immediately if its a 'no' and it is often a 'no') but I do like the challenge of blending the manufactured shape with the free form. I need to improve my skills with this 'blending' notion.
I also tend to assume everyone is familiar with die cutting. I've used dies for many years and have worked for Sizzix doing demonstrations in the past. As such, its easy to think everyone is just as familiar.
Anyway, I thought I would do a little section (each day) over the next week or so (not sure how long at the moment) about die cutting from my perspective and show a range of dies and tools etc. This kind of exercise is always useful for me to assess where I can stretch my use of the technique and will help me to 'innovate' in my work.

On that note, thats about it for today.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment