Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 8 April 2020

Sock Knitting Update

Hi Everyone 
I’ve started my Heartichoke Socks (by Josephine & The Seeds) using sock yarn from Ginger Twist - check out the original story about my yarn and pattern here. I started the socks on Sunday (5/4/20) and thought I had made good progress. The socks are knitted, toe up. After the initial toe shaping section, there is a pattern chart to follow and I’m five rows into the chart. 

               

You can see the beginnings of the pattern in my photo story above.

I am a regular sock knitter and usually knit an easy rib or stocking stitch sock and my normal knitting regime is to knit while watching some kind of media. The Heartichoke pattern is a bit more demanding ! I’ve managed to ‘mess up’ the pattern on this sock several times. There is a slightly complicated key to the chart supplied with the pattern and I gone wrong, several times. The key has a very clear set of instructions but they are on a different page and the symbols on the chart are quite tricky to distinguish from each other (especially while watching a film). 
My problem was ending up with 2 extra stitches after completing line 1 of the chart. I finally worked out, I had increased the stitches from the toe by 2 more stitches than required, I’d mixed up the initial increase number and the chart number. After the first pattern row on the chart, 2 stitches are increased in the pattern. As soon as the penny dropped - all was well. 
There’s something very satisfying about solving a problem (after the initial bewilderment) and I’m enjoying the challenge of a detailed pattern. I hope, I feel the same by the end of the week.

Thanks for calling in today.
Keep safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment