Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 10 May 2013

Art and DIE CUTS




Hi everyone
It's a lovely sunny day but a bit 'breezy'. Feels good with bright blue skies - optimism !

Die Cut Friday again ..... but first I need to give a bit of background to my plans. I think we've moved on from the basics of die cutting - if you are a new reader please look back to Fridays for lots of basic stuff. This post describes how I tend to use die cutting these days. Sometimes, I do have a need for a straightforward die cut item but increasingly Im using die cutting to add or develop creative work. Often, I find myself altering or using die cuts as tools which may not be easily identified as the original die cuts.

Im developing a new piece of work - this will form my June painting, no title as yet (it's very new)but its to do with the 'sea' in some way. To start, Im (currently) combining two smaller canvas shapes to make a single piece, I may develop the idea and introduce more (to provide more space within the piece ? not sure at the moment. My inspiration is following this weeks 'ring (circle) theme and Im making the shape, central to my painting. I've collected a range of elements (for choice) but have not quite developed the 'look' of the piece. I want to modify all the elements in some way and may even change colours. Im looking for 'something' ? to develop the whole 'feel' - I will keep all the bits/elements in my 'eye view' today and fiddle with them.

I do favour this way of working, most of the time. However, there is a down side, I'm often frustrated or 'panicked' by the lack of any real idea of what will happen or what Im doing ! but ....... when I 'get it' - it's a great feeling and Im then committed to finding my 'solutions'. This way of working has evolved for me and sounds rather 'smug-like' or even 'fanciful' on my part, Its based on the idea that the work, eventually, 'tells me' what to do with it.

It occurred to me only yesterday that its quite rare that I throw any work away - completely. Many times, the final piece is not recognisable as the original but I know where Ive been before the final outcome has been reached and mainly it's a learning experience for me.

Getting backdown to earth and to the die cut bit. Today, Im using this die. Im not sure what its called exactly ? Ive thrown away the packaging but its made by ProvoCraft.



The 'rings' produced (8) are versatile and Ive used them in lots of ways. I like the almost 'non precision' of the circles, very different from many other die cut shapes. I could just cut the shapes with scissors but I think the die cuts have great symmetry which work well together. I think this idea of all the rings coming from the whole is a very neat start to my 'seaside' idea. I've chosen simple light card for the cuts, one sample has lines and the other a hammered texture finish. Im going to develop and mix paint to use and hopefully get lots more texture in their with polymer additives - sand and bubble textures. I'd like to get some threads in there too.
The die needs the multiple purpose platform and the big shot - it's just too wide for the tag along machine.












As Ive said, there is no real plan but with the elements Ive chosen (at this stage) Im already thinking of 'bubbles' and underwater ?
The shells and wooden rings were a gift from a friend from the States, only yesterday. Im thrilled to receive them and want to find an unusual way of using them. There were two packs of stuff and are sold as beads.



I will document my progress each day and add how I feel about the process. Im interested to see how I do feel each day about the creative process and how or what prompts me to do what I do. I will add all the mistakes too - if/when they happen ! No 'glossing over' or 'spinning' will be tolerated. On that note .......

Hope you have a great weekend.

Bye for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment