Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 3 March 2020

Reworked Saltmarsh

Hi Everyone 
I made a lovely Saltmarsh skirt, a pattern from Merchant&Mills, a while ago. The fabric is a beautiful blue plaid-like design, just lovely. However, although, I did wear my skirt a few times, the fit was not quite right. I felt, there was so much fabric (especially the width at the front) that the skirt was not very flattering. There are no zips or buttons involved and the fit comes from a simple threaded fabric tie at the waist; my initial skirt was to resemble wearing a sack !
After, pondering the idea for several weeks, I decided I needed to unpick the whole thing and recut/fit the garment. This was quite a task. I had used my overlock machine on all seams and the skirt was as good on the inside as it was on the outside. Lots and lots of stitching to unpick. I was convinced, I needed to remake my skirt, so I spent a few days ( several sessions per day) unpicking !

             

I managed to unpick all seams and completely recut the patterns pieces. The fit of the skirt, in my photo image, shows how the skirt should look. The front of the skirt is slightly gathered by the tie waist but the ‘sack-look’ is certainly not there ! Having remade the skirt, the fit in now similar. I need to sort the waistband out, it’s a simple line of stitching around the waistband. I also need to renew the skirt. There is a difference in the front and back of the skirt, the length needs to be matched. I’ll hopefully complete this job today.

Generally, so far, I’m very with the outcome. I do like all aspects of this design and am keen to make more versions of this pattern. I also want to test out different ways of wearing my newly renovated skirt, very exciting times !

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment