Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 28 August 2017

Handmade Stuff

Hi Everyone
Today, I want to share my thoughts on the latest Pompom Quarterly magazine (the 22nd issue !). I love this magazine and look forward to each new issue with much excitement. Take a look at their web site for more on PomPom here.

                          

This issue does not disappoint. It's full of lovely Autumnal knits and references to a hand made wardrobe, something which appeals to me, enormously.  

There is a lovely feature on Merchant & Mills, my favourite all time fabric shop. I love everything they do and they do lots of wonderful things (related to sewing). One day I will visit their shop in Rye (quite a way from me) but until then I'm happy to browse the online shop and drool over the beautiful patterns and fabric and notions etc. An online visit to their shop is highly recommended take a look - here. Each time I visit the online Merchant & Mills, I make plans to start my handmade wardrobe. - one day ! I do have one of their patterns and some fabric and will make a dress soon. The handmade wardrobe is probably quite some time away !

Getting back to Pompom, I have read the magazine from cover to cover and have wish plans (in my head) to knit ALL of the knits in this issues. The only pattern which made me think it wasn't for me is a long cardigan with a check-like pattern on the front, however, on further consideration, I've decided I would actually like a cropped version.

So, I'm hoping to work my way through the patterns - a cardigan, two cowls, the potential cropped cardigan (adapted from the long cardigan previously mentioned), a pair of mits, a cropped jumper, a scarf, another jumper (the one on the cover) and a pair of gauntlet gloves. There is no timeline or even a yarn plan yet but I will have a great time deciding on colours and yarns. My current yarn stash is enormous and I will definitely have some yarns for a starting point. 

My approach to making (everything - including knitting) : is all about taking time to consider all aspects of design as well as the actual making process. I don't like rushing things, I like detail and perfection. I don't always get perfection but I do strive for it. Anything which does not reach the standard has to go !! As I improve my knitting skills I find so much more pleasure in the process as well as celebrating the completed item. I find huge pleasure in wearing my knitted garments - if they feel right and look acceptable. 

I must start looking in my stash for potential yarns, I'll start a list when I can pair up yarn and patterns and see where there are gaps. I'll keep a record of my progress on Fridays in my Fibre Update blog episode. Sounds like a great plan, I wonder if I will need to buy for yarn !

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment