Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 24 October 2017

Doll Talk

Hi Everyone
If you called in yesterday, you will know I’m working on a new multi media painting. The theme of the painting is a simple folk art doll with the idea of having wings and therefore able to ‘fly’ - in the symbolic sense. It’s all about confidence and dreams, reaching out with imagination, thought and freedom. 

I found a canvas to work with, my initial idea was to use a hard board but I didn’t seem to have one in the right size. So, I’m going with it. I’ve sketched out a very rough head and shoulders with two different sides to the face. I’m calling my doll, Henni (Henrietta). Henni isn’t very pretty at the moment!  She needs to have two sides of her face which look similar. I’m also not happy with the clothing - I will change that today. Henni needs a high collar style rather than the cute Peter Pan version (my default neckline - not sure why this is ?). 

                         
Her left eye (shape) is the one I will go for - I think ? Her mouth is also too big, so that needs fixing. My final face will look very different - I should have just made the face shape but can’t resist creating a character for my dolls with the eyes and mouth. Lots of decisions around colours will happen today. I also want to add lots of papers for background textures and depth, so the placing of the head is all that’s important at this stage. I think the hair will be braided at the top and more flowing at the sides. I’m hoping to add some wool fibre for this job.

You will see, I’ve got a ‘wing’ going on, only one at this stage. Love this idea. I’ve  also made some gold polymer wings and a crown. I will place the smaller wings in the painting somewhere and the crown will go on Henni. The crown is very small but I like that. Both wings and crown need some extra finishing before curing. 

So, not huge progress but it’s a start. There will be more to share tomorrow.
Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment