Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 9 February 2018

Fibre Friday Round Up (9/2/18)

Hi Everyone
Friday is here again and  I’ve had quite a productive knitting week, this week. There are two shawls to talk about. A sweater swatch and an update on my current sock project. Sadly, no spinning or crochet to report.
I’ve finished and blocked the Spindrift Shawl by Helen Stewart, I started this only a week ago and have particularly enjoyed this knit. It’s my second Spindrift and in a lovely green colour. The yarn is WYS Wensleydale Gem.

                          
              

My first Spindrift was a fingering weight yarn, this one is a dk and looks completely different. I love the colour and can’t wait to wear it.
My second shawl is another Helen Stewart pattern, the Fairyhill Shawl. This time, I’ve held together a mohair and a lace weight yarn to knit the shawl. The result is a lovely, soft almost ‘denim-like’ fabric (see bottom right image). I’m almost finished with the knitting part. I’ve started to bind off and will complete that later. Hopefully, I can block overnight to give me my second completed shawl of the week. Again, this was a really quick knit. I can’t believe I’ve managed to knit this shawl in a week. I wasn’t trying to knit quickly, it’s not my thing. I like the leisurely approach to knitting, it’s all about relaxing for me.


              

My next story is my socks. I talked about the design last week (read back for more detail) and have knitted past the heel point. I’m knitting two at the same time, so I know both will turn out the same. I’ve started a navy stripe section and have included a purl section (3 purl rows) in the centre of the stocking stitch stripe, this gives an effect of a raised welt on the outside. The inside is a flat fabric, next to the leg - so no problems with uncomfortable bumps on the inside. My photo isn’t showing the detail but I’m pleased with the idea. Hopefully, I can get better photos for next time My plan is to develop a few rows of purl to give me a welt for each of the stripes. I also have a grey colour yarn to add to the mix. This will give me a mustard, navy, red and grey colour combination. The heels, toes and rib will be red, although there will be a red stripe too. I’m probably about half way through my socks at this point. I’m happy with the design and will aim to complete the write up as a I go.
My last story is a new garment. This will be a steeked colour work cardigan by Kate Davies, the Coinneach design. My job this evening will be to swatch for the project. I’ve chosen a range of colours - see my photo (bottom left). I may change the colours for the colour work, depending on the how the swatch turns out but I’m using a WYS grey wool for the main body of the cardigan. This is a very exciting project for me. It will be my first steek ! I’ll get into much more detail about this technique over the next month or so.

That’s it for this week. Have a great weekend. I’ll also be taking a weeks holiday, next week but may post a few photos sharing a few things over the week. I’ll be back in the usual format on 19/2/18.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment