Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 22 February 2018

Silver Day (22/2/2018)

Hi Everyone
It’s Silver Day today and yet again, I can’t believe it’s Thursday already.if you are a regular visitor to my blog, you will know Thursday is the day I share one of my current Silver Projects. 
This week, I’m sharing a new project to make a broach/pin. This piece is specifically for one of my knitted garments (the Titus Adrift by Carol Feller). Here’s my plan for the broach/pin :

                      
                        

I have two options, see bottom left or bottom right. I can’t quite decide whether to go for a silver, flat shape with a pin to attach to the cardigan. See bottom left sketch, or should a I go for the simplest, utility style pin design (bottom right). I made these simple wire bent pins as practice items last year for another project.
 The design on the left is more involved. I’ve got the option of using interlinked rings which will be made solid and hammered flat as well as a single organic larger shaped ring. If I go for this version, I will make an arm and hook for the back - to attach the broach. With this design, I’ll solder the attachments to the flattened organic rings. 
From the other option ie the four pins, at the moment, I’m favouring the far right design.

Have a quick look at the image below showing the actual cardigan. 

                       

I like to wear the cardigan, pinned across the front like a shawl and am happy to design the broach/pin specifically for this garment (instead of a button). Previous attempts to use an existing pin for the job have failed. The main issue is the weight of my broaches. As the garment is made from a very soft merino wool, the cardigan is pulled out of shape. My solution is to make something very lightweight and add a small piece of Felt behind the pin to give more support to the woollen fabric. Fingers crossed, either of the options described will be functional, maybe I need both ? I’ll let you know next Thursday.

Thanks for calling in today.



No comments:

Post a Comment