Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 23 March 2018

Fibre Friday - 23/3/18

Hi Everyone
My round up of  fibre related projects this week is entirely focused on knitting. No apologies for lack of spinning or crochet, just no time ! However, I’m making reasonable progress with my Coinneach cardigan by Kate Davies. I’ve joined the sleeves and body and am about six rows into the colourwork yolk. I find the colourwork quite relaxing. The colour pattern per row, is relatively easy to remember after a few repeats and quite satisfying to work. I tend to knit in the evenings, so am often watching a film or sporting event while knitting. This means, I need to be able to keep track of where I am, in the pattern. I use stitch markers along the whole row to divide the pattern repeat. I find this a great way to track where I am. At any point, I only need to check within the ten stitch repeat. Most mistakes can be picked up very quickly and repaired. As the colour work changes each row is a new and exciting challenge. I’m enjoying this project and don’t want to rush things. Often, I do find myself rushing to finish projects when they get to a certain point. I’m not about quick knitting, for me, this spoils the experience. My way of managing my knitting, is to have a few projects on the needles at any one time. I’m still struggling with how many projects I have,  at any one time but for now, a pair of socks and a couple of other projects seems to work. If, I find myself getting impatient, I can switch the project.

                      


I’ve not managed too much progress with the Winter Rose Socks by Helen Stewart. I’m hoping to give the project a little more time this week. This pattern is part of the Handmade Sock Society Check our the details if you are interested. The Sock Society Club releases new patterns every two months and the next pattern is due early April. I’m looking forward to the next one but again, I’m not intending ‘to rush’ to finish. I usually knit two socks at a time and haven’t done that this time. My thinking was to just check out the lace pattern before I started the next sock but I think, I will just complete this one and then start the next. The lace pattern would cause me too many problems keeping track if the socks were on the same needle so the option was to knit one row of each sock after the other, on two needles. I’m not sure why but I’m ok with completing one whole sock after the other this time.

My next bit of yarn news is all about an old knit, waiting for a bit of attention. It’s the Miette cardigan by Andi Satterlund. I’ve finished the knitting element of the whole cardigan. However, the button band is not quite right. I think, I may need to take it out and do it again. I’ll check the whole project  again and make sure everything is, as it should be. I’ll bring this project back next week to share what I decided to do.

My last piece for this week is a new project. It’s the pattern called Merrie Dancers Toorie by Elizabeth Johnston. This pattern has been developed for Shetland Wool Week (22-30 September 2018). I knitted last years Shetland Wool Week pattern, the Bousta Beanie and somehow I’ve adopted the Shetland Wool Week pattern as something of a tradition. I’m using yarn from my stash other than one new acquisition of Jamieson & Smith Shetland Wool in a lovely raspberry shade (72MIX). Hopefully, I will have chance to get all my yarn together and possibly cast on this pattern for next time. I’ll also share a little more about the background to the pattern.

Thanks for calling in today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment