Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 11 April 2017

Spinning for a Shawl

Hi Everyone
I have another acquisition to share from St Abbs Yarn Festival today (read back yesterday for more on St Abbs). This time it's some natural dyed wool.

             

I bought the wool from the Cornhill Crafts stall. This stall is run by Eve Studd,the same lady I had a great experience with re the Shibori Dye Event a few weeks ago (look back for more on this). Eve had a few large baskets of dyed wool in lots of lovely colours. It was quite a challenge to choose but in the end I went for my usual navy with a green and my favourite of the moment -a deep mustard. The colours are lovely, 

I'm finding it almost difficult to spin up because I like the material the way it is ! However, I need to 'get a grip' with myself and have decided to develop a lightweight DK using a blended spin. I'm going to blend the coloured fibres with some natural Blue Faced Leicester wool and keep the individual colour ways. So far, I've carded the wool so it's ready for blending. I'm not sure exactly how the yarn will look yet or how much of a blend I will create ? I think, I will try for a section of very light colour shade followed by deeper shades throughout each colour way. I'm happy to let the wool tell me what to do.

Having pondered for a few days, I've eventually found a shawl pattern which I think will be good for the finished yarn.

                        

This is a free pattern from Wool And The Gang. It's an easy knit on quite large needles with a crochet border. I plan to use the different colours to give a striped effect across the shawl. The shawl will have three distinct sections using navy, green and mustard. That's the plan. Things could change ? I'll keep you informed as, I go.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment