Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 13 April 2017

Sock Talk

Hi Everyone
I've a little update on my latest sock project today. This is my second pair using Magic Loop rather than my usual double pointed needles and my first Magic Loop version of a 'cuff down' pattern. My first Magic Loop techniques was a 'toe up' version.
I'm not sure what I think about using Magic Loop ? - as with all things, there are advantages and disadvantages. I'm finding the management of the needles OK generally but I'm not very happy with the laddering effect which is caused by the Magic Loop. I'm hoping blocking will help even out the line of stretched stitches caused by using the long circular needle. There are many You Tube videos on the Magic Loop if you are keen to know more about this technique. I'm also familiar with a number of discussions re this 'laddering' effect. I need to do more research. You can just make it out in the photo - it looks a little like a crease in the centre of the sock (top sock).

                   

Lots of people use a circular needle for socks and I'm wondering if I need to go for another pattern - specifically written for Magic Loop. My usual sock pattern is the same one I've used forever ! Once I've measured the foot, I hardly need to look at the pattern. It's a plain, very simple sock which I tend to vary with the odd cable or colourwork. 
To avoid the problem of  '2nd sock syndrome' - I'm knitting two socks at once. I've had them on the same needle but not found the needle management very efficient (for me). I'm now using two needles and knitting each section of each sock, one after another and this is working out well for me. I'm almost there with the socks above, another couple of evenings and I'll be finished. This is the sock yarn I bought at Edinburgh (read back a few weeks for more on Edinburgh). I will have enough yarn to make another pair in a slightly different colour pattern. I'm not sure what I will come up with re the colour pattern ? I'll give it some thought later today. I'm also going to try and find another pattern specifically for Magic Loop knitting.

Will share my progress in a few days.


Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment