Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 5 September 2014

What's wrong with knots ?




Hi Everyone
It's Friday already ! - how did that happen ? Ive been quite busy all week and felt happy that I have organised my monthly schedule, I'm now wondering about time management - again ! I'm still not into a high production routine but I'm getting there (I think ?). The weather this week has been great - almost 'hot' most days, this has helped my mood !

Most of my work has been centred around preparation for a few workshops in the middle of September. Ive got my samples sorted, materials and equipment organised - very satisfying. The workshop will offer either earrings, brooches and necklaces from scratch using polymer clay and my own sterling silver findings. It's a basic half day course and there will (hopefully) be more 'follow on' workshops to develop ideas and skills.
With the samples, I have been (unexpectably) working on ways of dealing with covering waxed cotton knots on necklace closures. I know leaving the knot is just fine (that's what I'd initially planned) but for some reason I'm never happy with the result (for myself). I like to wear my designs to check out if they are durable and the simple knot closure always leaves me wondering how I can get rid of the knot. Ive experimented with a few different techniques to share with my workshop students. Some work better than others. Essentially, Ive covered the knot with a bead. However, the challenge is how to get the bead over the knot and ensure the bead hole is big enough for the job, post construction. Each of the necklaces have a slightly different solution but Ive tried to make the necklace and then construct a bead around the actual knot, curing the final bead while in position. My anxiety was - can I carry out the curing without damaging the necklace ? No worries there - all beads, silver findings and waxed cotton come through undamaged in any way. Here are the results.




Learning from the experience, I can plan this process into the design next time. I will spend more time perfecting the covering bead. This bead is working just like a crimp cover. I have an idea to make a little mould for the job - perhaps in a few sizes ? I will ponder this one. I have other issues with this type of necklace design ! - I'll leave that debate for another day.

PS I'm also preparing some kits to add to the workshop offer and will put some in the shop when ready.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment