Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 1 September 2017

Fibre Friday

Hi Everyone
Friday again ! - this week has flown by and the long Summer holiday is coming to an end. However, a few more days to go (4) and I'm determined to make the most of them. So, onto my fibre update. I'm splitting the news into a few different categories this week. 

                   

First section 'on my needles' (top row). On the left is my Amelia Ruffle Scarf by Alison Moreton using Dovestone DK, Wesley Bob. The pattern calls for Titus which is the lighter weight yarn but I'm very happy with the DK fabric. I've used Dovestone DK in quite a number of knitting projects and know the yarn well, so was aware of what would be produced. I started this project with a skein from my stash and added another to start the scarf. I've enlarged the scarf by just enough to need another skein - always the way ! However, I've already decided what I'm going to do with the yarn leftover ( will launch that plan next time). Top right row, just started last night, is my second Bousta Beanie (for my knitworthy husband !). Again, I'm using some leftover yarn from my own Bousta Beanie (you can check it out here) and I've added a few new colours. The overall colour theme will be blue/greens. I've only done the ribbed band which needed to be much larger (my husband has a very large head). I've gone up a couple of needles sizes and will add a lifeline so he can try it on this evening before staring the Fairisle pattern section. I have four different colours and will mix up the triangle patterns as I go. Not sure if he wants a pom pom ? I really enjoyed knitting my version so am keen to get started with this one. It's quite a quick knit, the last one only took me around a week to complete.
My next section is 'spinning' (bottom left). This is yet another project for my husband ! A whole sweater quantity spin of BFL and Corriedale. I've been talking about this project forever - look back for more on the blog if interested. I'm blending the fibres as I go and my new approach is to blend a board (blending board) full of fibres and turn into rolags, spin and ply - repeat. This is working well and feels less daunting than simply blending as I go. My total to date is approximately 300m, quite a way to go (1250m)but I've made much more progress this week using my new process. I'll update this project in more detail next time (including the pattern- revised several times !)
My last section for today is 'hand dying'. I've got lots of dying planned. This particular skein is the start of another sweater quantity of yarn. There are lots of colours going on in a mainly blue yarn. I'm liking the aqua and teal colours especially. My plan is to dye up some additional skeins in Teal and some Navy to make a cropped cardigan. At the moment I'm thinking about alternating the mixed colours (in the photo) with Teal for the body with Navy contrast cuffs, neckline/button band and waist rib in navy. All that could change but that's my plan (today). I have a couple of patterns in mind, again will firm up this week and report my choice next Friday.

Thanks for calling by today. Have a great weekend. I'll be back on Monday. x

No comments:

Post a Comment