Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 15 January 2018

The Felt Pocket Continued

Hi Everyone
I’m back with the Felt Pocket Project today. The project has been developed for our next Making Workshop (tomorrow) and I have developed a range of samples to illustrate all the techniques required to support our Makers. I wanted to keep the main samples unfinished to show stages of development rather than completed items. However, I also need elements of the completed samples to break down the tasks. My solution has been to make small versions of techniques which can be examined in detail.

                    

The techniques I’m referring to include making a hand stitched button hole and using Blanket stitch around the whole pocket. I wanted to show these techniques in isolation from the finished Pocket and possibly give an opportunity to practice before using on the final piece.

                       

The Tower House, as I’m calling this version of the Pocket is complete. I’ve chosen to add a range of beads to the decorate the house. I’ve also slightly padded the roof and front panel which gives the decoration another dimension. All the stitches from the decoration will be contained and hidden between the layers of Felt. The embroidery stitches I’ve used are simple running stitch, I had considered more elaborate stitches but the size of the decoration needed a simp,e solution. I’ve used coloured threads to make the stitches ‘stand out’. I’ve yet to choose a button but I think I will go for a blue, similar to the colour used in the main Pocket.
My second decoration style will use an image of a Fox.

                  

I’ve used a Grey and Cream colour for the actual Pocket. The little Fox is made up from seven individual pieces some of which are quite small. I will stitch the pieces onto the Pocket with simple running stitch and add extra beads for eyes, ears and nose. I’m also hoping to give the body and tail of the Fox a little extra padding. The Blanket stitch will pick out the burnt orange colour with a similar coloured button. I’ve more work to do on this one and hopefully with complete it later today.

Thanks for calling in today.



No comments:

Post a Comment