Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Embroidered Pendant Project - part 2

Hi Everyone 
I have a very small bit of progress to report today. Yesterday was mostly taken up with a special family birthday so not much work done ! I had a lovely time so all is well.
I have done a little embroidery trial on the wooden blank, although it’s just an experiment to check thread size and ways of finishing of the threads. If you called in earlier in the project you will know I’ve chosen a range of coloured threads, inspired by one of my blouses. I did have six colour options and in my first trial I’ve used only four. The main issue will be finishing off the threads, I’ve been talking about this throughout the project and as I thought, it’s the most challenging aspect. Obviously, the more colours, the more ends there are to secure. I’m almost convinced there needs to be a backing created to hide the knots created each time a change of thread is introduced. I like the idea of making a felted piece of fabric to stick over the back of the pendant, in a complimentary colour. I’ve also thought about cutting a piece of commercial Felt to size or possibly a piece of handmade paper ? I’ll try each of these ideas later today.
In the meantime, here’s a quick look at the first test piece of embroidery:

                       

I’m hoping to test out another couple of ideas for my embroidery patterns and my only thought is not to include a traditional cross stitch pattern on the blank. I’m not sure why but I feel it’s not quite my thing ? However, I’m not ruling anything (definitely) in or out at this stage. I  also need to work on the ‘chain’ part of the necklace and finalise the closure part of the chain. Look back yesterday for more on the chain.


Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment