Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 12 January 2018

Fibre Friday

Hi Everyone
As this is the first week of working after the Christmas break, I’ve been quite busy getting back into some sort of routine. I don’t feel I’ve organised my life very well this week, as a result my spare time (usually filled with fibre related activities) has been limited. All my knitting time has been spent working on my Garland Sweater. I’ve made great progress and am almost finished one sleeve, as well as the body. I have the other sleeve to finish and then a deep neckband. My photo does not do justice to the beautiful colour of the yarn. It’s a bright Saphire Blue and quite stunning. I’m really looking forward to finishing the sweater and wearing it. I think, I could be there, next week ? I’m not rushing things, so I will take my time enjoying the knit


                           

My other yarn story this week is a Christmas gift, the Lovage Sweater Kit from Uist Wool. I mentioned this Christmas gift earlier in the week but I’m sharing a little more here today. The yarn is something called siaban. It’s a lovely light grey colour with lots of different grey tones going on and a dk weight. I’m excited about the whole kit and will start as soon as my Garland has finished. I love the pattern and the idea of the overall rib patterns. I especially like ribbed arms (just like the Garland) they give a slight impression of being flared at the end of the sleeve. I love this look.

                      
The Lovage uses 5.5mm and 4.5mm needles so the whole thing should knit up quite quickly, not that this is something I strive for. I especially warm to the idea of ‘slow knitting’. For me, knitting is about relaxing and a process of producing something as perfect as I can. I want to understand each part of the pattern and how this translates to the knitted material. I try and fight against the thoughts of fast knitting and techniques for knitting faster. I do, sometimes, get a little impatient with a particular project and feel a ‘need’ to get finished. As I’ve mentioned, I’m hoping to fight against this idea. I want knitting to be a joy, always. My way of dealing with the problem is to have a few live projects at any one time, to counteract any impatience. When I get impatient about a particular project, I can turn to another. 
I think, I’ve mentioned before on Fibre Fridays, always having a pair of socks on my needles. At the moment, there are no socks. I need to put this right today. I have a few ideas but will tell you all about what I decide next week. I also need a new shawl idea, so will look for a project. I think, three projects on the needles is about right for me.
Now for spinning chat. There has been no spinning at all over Christmas. I stored my wheel away because of our Christmas tree taking up lots of space. But, it’s back in its usual space and ready for action, I will definitely make a little time later for some spinning. I’m still spinning for a sweater (read back most Fridays for more on the particular sweater). I also have lots of lovely fibre from my  Hilltopcloud monthly subscription club. I’m going to plan a few projects to use some of this fibre. I’m not sure how to do this but will work on a plan this week. Hopefully, I will have something to share for next time.

That’s about it for my fibre update. It’s also the end of the week ! 
Have a lovely weekend. I’ll be back on Monday. bye for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment