Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 26 January 2018

Fibre Friday - 26/1/18

Hi Everyone 
I think most Fridays - it can’t be Friday again ! However, it is Friday and its time to look back at my weekly fibre news. Lots of exciting stuff to share !

The big story is -  I’ve finished knitting my Garland Sweater and I’m very pleased with it. There is a way to go re the finishing techniques and I also need to adjust the length of the sleeves. I think, I’ve made the sleeves approximately 3-5cms too long. It was difficult to try on the sweater while I was knitting the final neck part so decided to leave the sleeves until I had finished all the remaining knitting parts. It’s very pretty and the colour is beautiful. The sweater is lovely to wear, it has a great feel with some really interesting elements. I particularly like the rib sleeve feature and the cropped, very wide body. So, I need to sew in the ends and sort the sleeves. The pattern suggests blocking the garment and then turning the neck band inwards and sewing in place. I’ll get to this later today and hopefully will be able to wear my sweater next week. This has been a very enjoyable knit. I can see myself knitting a second in a different colour and possibly adapting the style a little. I’ve also got quite a bit of yarn left and am already thinking about what I can do with it ? I may hold it together with another yarn and develop a Nuuk. More on that next time.

        

My next knitting story is a new pair of socks. This is my Miss Mitchell Socks Pattern, I’m writing up this new design as I go. This time I’ve started toe up and am knitting the main sock part ‘two at a time’, I’ll knit the rib on each sock using DPNs and add Afterthought Heels. The leg of the sock will get a bit of a pattern and I’ll introduce another colour - more on that next time.
The other new knit this week is a Spindrift Shawl. I’ve already knitted this pattern in a finer yarn. This time I’m using WYS fleece Gems dk (Peridot colourway) and will add an edge of Artesano Alpaca Silk Lace (Tabby Grey colour way). More on the Spindrift next time. I’ve literally just started the Shawl but it’s already looking lovely.

My last story for this week is some spinning!! This is a little project I’ve started for a friend. I’m not sure exactly what the fibre is ? It’s dyed in lovely variegated range of greens. I’ve prepped the fibre a little and developed a few rolags and will test out a few different ways of spinning. The fibre feels very dense and I’m favouring a simple spin from the braid rather than the rolag approach. I’m finding I need to hand card the fibre in small batches to get the best results. Here is a quick look at the job so far :

      

Thanks for calling in today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment