Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 22 January 2018

New Project Launch

Hi Everyone
Today, I’m introducing my next Making project which is to be known as The Embroidered Pendant. We will take a final look at the last project (The Felt Pocket) later this week. There will be a second Felt Pocket Workshop taking place tomorrow but I wanted to launch the next idea today and explain how I’m preparing and choosing colours and designs for the project.
Here’s a quick look at some of the materials I’m using for this new project.

                              
My plan is to develop a fine (4 strand) kumihimo braid to attach the pendant using S-Lon medium weight cord. The pendant will get a embroidered pattern sewn onto the wooden pendant blank. I’m still in the design stage but at the moment, I’m thinking about using a chunky metal jump ring for attaching the braid. I’m also thinking about developing the braid with additional beads to finish the fastening and give additional interest.
Choosing which colours to go for with this kind of project is always a difficult job. I’m designing this project for a Making Workshop so I want to give Makers a practical exercise to help them decide on colours and patterns before they arrive at the workshop to complete their project. I’ll try the exercise out on myself to day and share my results this week on the blog. More of that tomorrow.
I’d you called in last week you will know I’ve been trialling a new way of working. I’m happy this way of working is proving to be practical and efficient. Each project will get however long it requires to complete and I will document the process from Monday to Wednesday- I’m keeping Thursday for Silver work and Friday for Fibre news. The Felt Pocket Project, the first activity in my new working process, will result in a series of kits after the second workshop (tomorrow). The workshops give me a greater understanding of the issues which may arise when using a kit at home without workshop support, so an important part of the development. Each project will aim to produce such a kit.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment