Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 9 August 2019

Nightdress - update

Hi Everyone 
Just a quick post to share progress on the latest nightdress. You can read the original background story here.

                

I decided to add a frill to the hem which gives almost a full skirt effect. The final length is just below my knee. I love the style. I also wanted to go further with frills, so added a very full frill to the neckline. The gathers looked great but were very bulky - I thought this would be uncomfortable while sleeping. My solution was to take out around a third of the fabric on the front and back (the frill is made up with of two pieces) to form a much smaller frill. All is well. I’m really pleased with the final look. I’ve added bias binding to finish the sleeves, although - I need to top stitch in place.
My approach with nightwear is to use French Seams throughout. However, the frill on the hem will get an overlocked finish this time. I’ve tested out a small section with a bound seam (using bias binding) and it’s much too bulky for the position of the seam. I think, the bound edge will be uncomfortable in a nightwear item.
Hopefully, my nightdress will ready to wear in a day or so. In total, I have four pieces of handmade nightwear and would quite like five. So, I’ll have a short break from nightwear and plan the final piece in a few weeks.

Thanks for calling in today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday with more Making news.


No comments:

Post a Comment