Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 10 December 2018

Knitted Birds etc

Hi Everyone 
I took part in a great knit workshop on Saturday - making knitted birds. Lots of food treats, chat and having a generally, lovely time. The workshop took place at my regular knit group, Fine Fettle Fibres. There were lots of my knit friends and it was so nice. I’d been looking forward to the event for a while and it didn’t disappoint, a lovely start to my weekend. This was a half day event so after lunch ( all prepared and ready to eat on my return home), I made the finishing touches to my bird. 

                  

Included in the workshop was the Field Guide to Knitted Birds by Arne & Carlos. There’s are so many lovely bird ideas in this book. This is a great idea - to include a whole book as part of a workshop. 
All the birds follow a simple and well written basic knitting pattern. I especially liked how the pattern was divided into the small sections, following the anatomy of the bird, starting with the tail and ending with the head. Somehow, the bird comes to life as the recognisable shape is developed. When it’s time to stuff (with toy stuffing) the bird and add the beak, eyes and extra embellishments the bird has its own character. 
I have made a copper wire stand for my bird, instructions also included in the book as well as a very entertaining YouTube video on the technique. I’m already planning my next bird. I will aim to make my second bird as a Christmas tree decoration.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with an update on my Advent Knit, I’m up to date - just saying !


No comments:

Post a Comment