Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 1 August 2018

Exciting Developments

Hi Everyone 
After the excitement of yesterday’s news - the finishing of my Stitch Story Bag, I’m announcing my next Stitch Story has officially started. I did talk about this new Stitch Story idea a few weeks ago and thought I’d be making a skirt which would get lots of stitched stories/ memories embroidered  into the skirt. However, I’ve had second thoughts. After lots of indecision, I’ve decided I’m not a skirt person ! I’m not sure why ? but I can’t remember the last time a chose a skirt to wear and often reject a skirt for a dress. I do tend to wear trousers most of the time but I have started to enjoy wearing dresses lately ! Anyway, the decision is now made. My new Stitch Story : Friendship will be a dress.

I’m going to make the dress a generous, loose fit so I can wear a blouse or long sleeved T shirt underneath (for cooler months). I’ve started to draft a pattern. I’ve done this many times so I’m confident I can make a reasonable job of the pattern. I’ll make a toile first so I can get the fit, ‘just right’. Here’s a quick reminder of the fabric I’m going to use with an initial rough sketch of the dress pattern.

                 
The fabric is a beautiful green and my dress will be very simple. I want the (Stitch) Stories to be the star of the show. I’m collecting bits and pieces which will I can add to the dress and will organise myself a box of things which will get consideration. The theme of Friendship will be my focus and this gives me lots of options. One of the most important stitch elements will be some Jessie Chorley templates (similar to these items). I was gifted my templates from a lovely friend (for my last birthday). I will embroider my templates in lots of shades of green, I think ? We will need to wait and see ! I will make the simple dress first and possibly add design details, as I go. There are no rules and I’d like to alter my plans as I feel the need. I’d also like to hand sew the majority of my dress. Again, I’m not totally decided about what or how to finish the details. As I’m working, the dress will tell me what to do.

I’ll be sharing my progress as I go. This won’t be a quick make but I’ll be working each day on a small task. I did learn from the Stitch Story Bag about taking my time and getting completely immersed in the Making process. This, I found hugely rewarding and the thing that gives me pleasure. I’m hoping I will be rewarded again while making my dress. I can envisage the finished item but want to surprise myself as I develop the piece.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment