Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday, 4 July 2014

New Necklace Design




Hi Everyone
It's Friday again - as usual I can't believe another week has gone by. The creative opportunity from yesterday has moved on and these are the stages I went through to get to the finished item (so far !)
Picking up from yesterday's progress, I decided to make some holes at the top of each bead and marked where the holes needed to be. I wanted the beads to lie flat when worn, so I decided I needed to use the thread to keep the beads in place by keeping them in line. I marked the places where the holes needed to be. The holes are quite close to the edge and to each other therefore precision and a clean hole was important (just big enough to take the thread).






All the holes worked out well. I used two stages of drilling to get the right size.
I cleaned up the beads.




This close up was a trial threading, prior to polishing but it shows the threading pattern well.
I had intended to add a small bead between each of the larger ones to act like a spacer. When I tried this, the necklace moved around too much and I wanted it to lie flat. So, I took them away and stuck to a single bead either end of the main beads.



I added some beads at the necklace ends to form a simple slip fastening.


This is the final threading positions. I need to finish the knot tails but other than that I'm wearing it.


The clasp idea is to move the second bead (next to the larger round end) to secure the simple loop. It's OK but I will think again about this aspect of the design.


I may give the beads another polish. I wanted a shiney finish, it's a little glossy but not as much as I'd hoped. I'm now wearing the necklace for a few days to check out the clasp security.



Have a great weekend.
Thanks for reading.