Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 27 February 2015

Making Ear Wires




Hi Everyone
The Mini Project today is making simple silver earring wires.
I'm basing my sample on an almost finished large batch of earrings for an order where I needed different styles/ sizes of earring wires. I have a great technique for making identical wires to share. The technique is adaptable to different sized beads which is particularly useful. My process involves using pliers and wire cutters but you could use any solid round shaped item at the desired size (rather than the bail pliers I have). I would suggest you do need wire cutters for the job.
I've made a few photos collages to illustrate the key points. My initial measurement is 7cms - the wire is doubled to give a 14cm length of silver wire. This will give you a pair of quite large hooks. Silver is expensive so you need to be sure of the measurement. Practice and prepare samples using cheap wires.



(5) could be made using basic round nosed pliers or a small screwdriver if you don't have a bail tool. It's tricky to hold the wire flat for turning but it can be done. In (6) - I've bent the wire over in the opposite direction to give me the size of the hook. Again, if you do not have bail pliers, you could use a large pen to do this. Wait until you have separated the hooks before checking and possibly trimming the final length of the hooks (8). Often, a tiny adjustment is required to make each wire the same length. In (6) the wires look different lengths but it's just the angle of the photo. In this case, I didn't need to trim.


There is a small element of waster in the snipping of the hooks (7) - however, I think it's worth the final result and the minimal time taken to make identical hooks.


I do need to finish off the ends with a file and close up the bead fitting.

When I first started to make wires in this way, I couldn't believe how quick and easy it is. I think it's worth buying some basic tools to do the job. Buying ready made hooks in sterling silver is expensive and for a small investment in tools you could start making your own and ultimately save money.
Here is a photo of the tools I use -



I hope this has inspired you to make your own earring hooks.
Have a great weekend.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment