Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 5 February 2014

More Metal Chat




Hi Everyone
Today, I'm very excited about receiving our new metalwork tools. Yesterday, two lots of stuff arrived and I now have most of the bits I need to start more metal experiments. Amongst the stuff is some brass and copper plate. My only missing thing is 'silver'. I need to practice on the copper and brass first. Silver is so much more expensive ! - for when I make my mistakes. This is not a negative, I do believe I need to be bold and make mistakes in order to develop my skills.

Ive come up with a page of designs which I will try out on the brass and copper as well as making similar pieces from clay. The pieces are small items and are inspired by reading a interior design magazine. Many of the current fabric designs are using strong lines,geometrics and stripes. This is reflected in my designs. Not sure how they will work out - it will be interesting to compare the finished product with these initial sketches.






Co incidentally, I came across a great piece on etsy this morning about product development. Check it out here. Most of the steps I do seem to have as part of my 'working way' (especially reassuring) but it's good to see someone else suggesting the steps and there are little tips which are useful to think about.

I'm going to try and do something with a piece of scrap - this was developed during my recent metal class last week. It was created to try out soldering a post onto a potential earring. This is how it looks at the moment.


















Let's see what I can do with this. I will share tomorrow - good or bad !

I want to share another item, again found on Etsy (I also have it in my Pinterest boards). Here it is in the photo below. The artist is someone called 'Magdalena'.





Check out her shop here

I particularly like this piece. The colour of the beads and the contrast with the orange chord. The organic, pebble shape of the beads are lovely. I'm going to try and make something which is inspired by this piece - for myself.

Thanks for reading, bye for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment