Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 23 July 2018

Final Push #3

Hi Everyone 
I’m still working hard on finishing my Stich Story: Miss Mitchell. Read back on the blog for more detail about this project. I’ve been working on this piece for many weeks and it’s finally coming to an end. I’m certain, I can finish the bag this week (famous last words !).

Having repositioned all the patches several times, I’ve finally decided on the layout. I’ve attached my ribbons in a way to give the patches a defined space and am ready to sew each patch in its final space. As I decided on the final patch placing, it was obvious that I needed a new patch of a specific size. A new idea came to me immediately, so I  set about making the new patch. This is the same green patch I talked about last time. This patch has the words Everything is Possible, another of Miss Mitchell’s standard messages. It’s worked on a piece of the green fabric which balances the range of patches well.

                         

I have been wondering, for a while, about how I would attach each patch and several options seemed to be available. I considered using a fine invisible thread as well as attaching each patch from the second back layer (most patches have a two layer construction). In addition to finding the right technique for sewing the patches in place, I also struggled with access to stitching. The difficulty arose because the bag had been partially constructed. Three sides of the bag had been machine stitched and the only access was from the top. My solution to this problem was to deconstruct the bag slightly. Both sides were unpicked which left me with a flat surface and exactly what I needed.
After several tests, my chosen technique for attaching patches will be to use the original patch edge stitches as a guide and oversew, in the same colour thread. This method results in an almost invisible second stitch and allows for a neat and secure seam.
I’m ready to go and should make good progress today. I’ll be back tomorrow with more to share.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment