Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 26 July 2018

The Bag - taking shape !

Hi Everyone 
My Stitch Story : Miss Mitchell Bag construction is now underway, almost ! Read back on the blog for lots more about this project.
The next section of the bag will, hopefully, be a quick Make. If you read back a few posts, you will note that I needed to deconstruct the outer skin in order to help attach the patches and add new embroidery sections. Well, I’m preparing to re-stitch the sides of the skin. I will machine stitch the sides.
 However, before I stitch them, I’ve decided to make the handles. The handles are a simple length of green fabric, reinforced with iron-on interfacing. I’ve prepared one of the handles ready for embroidering. Yes, I’m embroidering the handles ! I wasn’t sure about this but have decided it’s the right thing to do. Words will appear on each handle, on the outer facing part. I’ve prepared the handles to be 32 cms. long, 2.5cms. to be stitched into the top seam (where the lining and the outer skin meet).

              

As you can see from my photo story, the words What would Miss Mitchell say ? will feature on one handle and the date, 27/04/12 will appear on the other. The date is the day Miss Mitchell was created. She is a piece of folk art in original form and is an important inspiration for lots of my work. I often ponder the thought, what would Miss Mitchell say ? , especially if I can’t quite make a decision about something. It’s a bit of a cue to reconsider while taking a walk. Usually, I can work something out. Hopefully, my words will be embroidered today and I will have my completed handles.

Thanks for calling in. I’ll be back tomorrow with more.


No comments:

Post a Comment