Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 8 July 2019

Florence

Hi Everyone 
I’ve finished and already worn my latest, very new Make, the Florence blouse by Merchant&Mills. The fabric is from Seasalt and the buttons from Textile Garden. The fabric is beautiful to work with and has produced a lovely blouse. Read the background story for this project here.

            

I didn’t make any big changes to the pattern, just a straightforward Make. The only very slight challenge was the neckband facing. It’s not really an issue but I managed to misunderstand where the neckband finished and the button stand folded. For some reason, I decided I needed not to fold over a 1cm hem on the neckband. As I folded over the button stand, my error was obvious, the diagram instructions were exactly right and I was wrong ! A very quick unpick (3 mins worth) fixed the problem and that was that. Everything else in the Make was exactly as per the instructions. The fit of the top is particularly good and I love it. The top is a lightweight garment and because of the gathered frill, it’s great for warm weather. I have also tried layering the top and this works well too. The whole thing was a delight to make and wear.
I’ve already started my next Florence. This time, I’m using the fabric I had chosen for the original Make, check it out here. I’ve tried a slightly longer version of the top this time. The frill will be extended to accommodate this feature. I’m using a couple of very similar fabrics (same colour shades and small flower designs) for the new top and the fabric is a more structured cotton, than the first top. I’m hoping the garment will look very different. I’ll share the finished top in a few days. 
There will also be a third Florence. The third Make will be a dress version. I will lengthen the frill to just on or just below the knee. This dress will be in a Navy Linen Rami fabric. Again, it’s a lightweight fabric. I may line the bodice section with the same fabric this time ? I’m not sure at this point. All very exciting. When I find a pattern that works for me - I just need to keep making more !

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment