Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 17 July 2019

Saltmarsh Skirt #2

Hi Everyone 
I’m following up with developments from yesterday’s sewing project : the Saltmarsh Skirt. Read back yesterday here for more details on the idea.
Sadly, I didn’t make much progress yesterday- life got in the way ! However, I did start !

             

There is, of course, a story to tell. I thought, I’d followed the pattern details to the letter but ....... having started to construct the skirt, it seems I’d missed something in the pattern stage.
 I started the Make with the waistband, as suggested by the pattern. I’d chosen to make button holes in the waistband to accommodate a drawstring tie. There was an option to add a couple of eyelets but I thought the fabric drawstring tie needed buttonholes. The fabric is quite lightweight and I think metal eyelets would be too heavy. So, I developed buttonholes - I made the tie before developing the buttonholes to determine the right size. At this stage, all was well. The buttonholes worked well, without any problems.
The next stage was to finish the waistband ie sew it together.  I thought, I’d make up the skirt (including waist darts) first, so I could be exact about the waistband width. The drawstring will pull in the waist to fit but I wanted the two pieces ie the band and the top of the skirt to be the same. At this point, it became obvious that something was not quite right ! I’d not looked carefully enough at the pattern pieces and had missed a small section of both the front and back skirt pieces (including the dart notches). 
What to do ? I had a coffee first. I had enough fabric to add a section to the top of the front and back skirt, the missing part. I cut out the extra bits and have overlocked them and top stitched them to the skirt pieces. Everything is now back on schedule. I quite like the effect of the extra pieces, almost a deliberate panel to shape the waist area !
I’ll get some more photos later today which may help explain my issue in more detail. I have another busy day, so not sure how much more will happen today. Fingers crossed, I can complete another stage.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment