Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 25 November 2015

Recipe Wednesday

Hi Everybody
Bad news, the cake from last week didn't happen ! I started to prepare my ingredients etc. and couldn't find any jam ! This completely spoiled the recipe and I couldn't find an alternative to jam. So, I changed the cake. Another mug cake idea - Chocolate Brownie. The recipe in my book called for paper cups as a cooking vessel and I eventually located some paper cups from the back of the cupboard, left over from birthdays parties (way back). I tried my first cake bake in a mug too, just to see the difference in the cooking result.
The recipe, 2 tbsp butter (melted), 2 of caster sugar and 1 of soft brown sugar, 1 tbsp cocoa powder all mixed together. Add yolk of an egg with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 4 tbsp self raising flour. Stir in handful of chocolate chips, I used white ones.
Having mixed all the ingredients, I made one cake in a mug. The other cakes were made in paper cups, the mixture was transferred to the paper cups after mixing and baked in the microwave.
Last time, my mug cakes seemed undercooked, so I gave then all a bit longer. I think they all looked 'good' post cooking. The tasting would decide if the cakes were a success. Here is how they looked after adding a dollop of cream and another handful of chocolate chips :

                                

The cakes looked great and I was optimistic ! The paper cups add a certain something which we all liked. These paper cups have 'had their day' and I will be looking around for some more attractive, sophisticated designs. What a surprise to find we could hardly break through the surface of the cakes with a spoon. However, what a great taste when we did. The texture was more like a biscuit than a cake and we needed to pick up the cake and eat like a biscuit. Everyone enthusiastically ate all the 'cake'. The boys gave 13/15 and I gave 4/5. So ..... a whopping 17/20 and a place in the book. The taste was great.The name of the cake in the book is Chocolate Brownie but my lot have renamed the cakes 'Chocolate Brickettes'.  

Obviously, I still haven't cracked the baking in a microwave technique yet ! But ......... I have now acquired some jam, so last weeks recipe will be tried today. Let's see if I can get it right this time.

Wish me luck with the next cakes - Strawberries and Cream Victoria Sponge.

Thanks for reading.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment