Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 27 April 2018

Fibre Friday

Hi Everyone 
I’ve a couple of good fibre stories today. My first story is a rather long term project. Finally, I’ve managed to spin the green fibre, I talked about this last week ! It’s plyed, soaked and all caked up- ready for knitting. This fibre has been re purposed (for a friend) from another project so there was a little waste involved. Having weighed the fibre it’s coming out as 92gms. and I’ve managed to get approximately 120m of light sport weight yarn. The WPI is about 16, although it’s handspun so there are a few inconsistencies (hopefully not too many).Yarn thickness is measured using something called WPI, which stands for Wraps Per Inch. The idea is you wrap your yarn around a gap measuring 1 inch, and count how many strands you can fit in. I have a great little tool for measuring this on my spinning wheel (see bottom left photo). I’ve called the yarn Fils Vert (for obvious reasons, not very original !). I will be passing over the yarn to my friend tomorrow, I’m hoping she likes the result. I’ve enjoyed the spin and have managed to start my spinning routines again. I gave myself a target of 3 sessions each week. So far, it’s working.

                          

My next story is all about the second sock pattern in my Curious Handmade Sock Society. The pattern is called Magnolia. I’ve used Manos Del Uruguay:  Algeria yarn in the Manglar colour. It’s a lovely varied mix of greens, pinks and blues. There is a beautiful central lace pattern down the sock with cabling either side. Very pretty. My version, adds a pink toe and I’ll make a pink crochet picot edge on the cuff. I started the sock last Saturday as car knitting and finished the first sock yesterday. It’s quite an easy knit, although, I do need to pay attention to the lace part. I’m hopeful, I can complete the second sock this week. The Sock Society provides a new pattern every two months, if I manage to complete my second sock this week, I’m well on schedule to keep up. I think the next pattern will come out early June. This will give me time to make another sock from my list.

                    

I have made only a few rows onto my Coinneach cardigan yoke (read back last week for more details) by Kate Davies. I ran out of one of one of the colours (in the colourwork)mid week but have acquired another, so I’m ready to go. More on the Coinneach next time. Another exciting development on the WestHighland Way series of patterns (Coinneach is part of the West Highland Way pattern Collection) is delivery of the actual West Highland Way book. It’s such a lovely book. I love all of the patterns, which is unusual. I tend to like most of them but this time, I could knit every single one. I’m already choosing my next project from the book.

No crochet this week, although, I will probably use my crochet hook to make the picot edge on my Magnolia Socks. Does that count ?

Thanks for calling in today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday.





No comments:

Post a Comment