Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Brooch #4

Hi Everyone 
Today, will feature my final Stitch Story brooch. This is #4 in the brooch series. I think, that’s it for now and the brooches. I’ve very much enjoyed making these lovely little projects. I like fiddling with tiny details and I’ve learned how much I love ‘hand stitching’. I especially like to discover new (to me) embroidery stitch techniques.


              

My brooch #4 has developed into a much more detailed brooch because I’ve finished it with a decorated back. The shape of the backing fabric is rather organic, initially- I felt I needed to make another back with an exact replicas of the brooch shape. The actual brooch front has been crafted from wool fibre using a dry felting technique. However, I do like this slightly rounded free form shape of the backing. The back of the brooch will not be seen (when worn) but I like the idea of a neatly finished piece. My grandmother (a skilled Tailor) was very particular about finishing techniques, she taught me that the inside should be as good as the outside on everything.This message has stuck with me and I feel as if all things are not complete if the inside, back or unseen parts of a project are not   finished. I also wanted to add an embroidered element to the backing panel. I searched my Stitch dictionary for ideas of suitable stitches and came up with a Double Knot Stitch. This stitch is simple but works well for this situation. It’s added a little texture without making the back look too busy.

                   

I’ve reinforced the inside of the brooch backing to hold a simple small brooch bar. I’ve also added a faux hand made brooch pin of the top. It’s just for show but I like the look. I’ve used the smaller brooch bar to make the pin more suitable for wearing.  One of my favourite fabric covered buttons is featured on the front, decorating the little bow. 
As with my last brooch, I’ve used the ‘wings and flying’ concept. The notion of using my brooch to give a message is a pleasing one. I love this idea of having wings in order to fly (metaphorically). I’m actually planning on wearing my brooch. I think, the brooch will work well on one of my denim jackets. 
So, that’s is for brooches in this series of Stitch Story elements. I will definitely come back to making fabric brooches.

Thanks for calling in today.




No comments:

Post a Comment