Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 27 November 2018

Harrogate Chat : Episode 2

Hi Everyone 
If you called in yesterday, you will know all about my trip to Harrogate, last Friday. Having set the scene, I’m planning to reveal a highlight from my little adventure, each day this week. 
Today, I’m sharing a purchase. The purchase is a vintage sewing pattern, a coat. I’m very excited about this pattern. I’m not usually, a huge fan of the vintage look - as such ! I love the glamorous style and images on others but I’ve always thought, it’s not for me. Having given some thought as to why it’s not for me; I think, it’s to do with the tight bodice look. I don’t care for tight clothing and especially a very close fitting waistline. I think, I’ve decided, I like the vintage style if there’s an option to introduce a generous amount of positive ease. I often like a dress or top to have a slightly oversized look.
However, I’m drawn to vintage sewing patterns and every time I see such patterns I’m quite keen to check them out. Getting back to Harrogate, I came across a little shop selling all things vintage re the sewing world. Lots of buttons, books, patterns as well as paraphernalia to do with sewing/knitting/crochet. The shop had a couple of boxes of old patterns. As I flicked through the patterns, one pattern in particular stood out and I found myself exclaiming ‘wow’ - quite loudly ! (almost attracting a crowd). I kept flicking through the patterns and came back several times to The Pattern. For some reason, I needed to buy it. The pattern wasn’t very expensive but there was no guarantee that all the bits were there. I asked to vendors if the pattern had been checked and NO it hadn’t been checked ! They suggested, I go for a coffee and take the pattern out and check myself ! Not quite that easy at a very busy event. However, I bought it anyway.

                           

Having got home, the pattern was unpacked and all the bits are present. Unfortunately, the previous owner had left metal pins in the pattern, it looks as if pins have been used to shorten the coat length and left in the tissue. Having done a bit of research, the pattern dates from the 1950s and is quite a valuable item (if it wasn’t damaged). Similar patterns of the era are selling for about £20/£30.
I’ve removed the pins, see my photo story, and will need to reproduce the individual tissue pattern pieces. I’m happy to do this. I’d like to make my first version of the coat in a modern waxed cotton fabric, perhaps a mustard or burnt orange colour. The pattern suggests the size is 12 to 16. I’m not sure how that works ? There’s no pattern markings, so I will need to do lots of measuring and preparation. Vintage patterns are notorious for being on the small side !
I love this coat pattern, the instructions are limited but adequate, I think, at this stage. Perhaps, I will think differently when I try to construct my coat. The pattern was my first purchase at The Event and will be a lovely reminder of my day, when I’m making my coat. I have high hopes for the finished garment.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with another little story about my Grand Day Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment