Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 November 2018

The Felted Bird Update

Hi Everyone 
 I introduced the Felt Bird Project a few blogs ago and have reached the next stage of developments. This little bird will form the basis of a Making Workshop and hopefully end up on Christmas Tress, as a decoration. The Christmas word has crept in again and it’s not December yet, apologies. Sadly, the project is all about Christmas preparations, so I can’t avoid using it !  However, I’m loving my little birds and will go on to make a few more. 
My bird sample for today, has all the extras ! - legs, hanging wire, a stick and a tiny crown.

                
                         


The images on the right half of my photo story show the bird with the hanging wire. The left hand images feature a set of feet. I like both version and think each version has a particular place in my own festive decorations.
I especially like the elaborate feathers and the little crown, shaped with fine antique bronze wire. The hanging wire uses the same wire and simply passes through the neck part of the bird. I created a short bar with fixed rings at the end and attached a second, curled/shaped wire for the hanging part. This construction allows the bird to rock (back and forth) and move freely which is charming. The second option is to make a set of feet, as per the images on the  left side of my photo story. The feet are shaped from 1.5mm copper and support the bird with a frame around the belly section of the bird. A third option is to add the bird to a thin, covered skewer (just visible in the bottom right image, used as a hanging point). I see this option sitting in a vase or similar container.

Generally, this is a lovely project. It’s very simple and quite a quick Make. All the little details are fun to develop and different colours, embellishments and shapes are possible. I need to make a few more birds.  I think, having a Collection of birds together will make a great impact.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment