Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 19 November 2018

Overlocker News

Hi Everyone 
Very exciting news today. I’ve been experimenting with my new overlocker machine (see here for more on the machine). My new machine arrived last week and initially, I had a day of (slight) panic ! I don’t want to exaggerate the point but for some reason, I couldn’t seem to thread and balance the tension. However, a YouTube session later and ‘all is well’ ! 
Last week, I mentioned a new Pumpkin Dress pattern (see the link above for details) was to be my first Overlock machine Make. For obvious reasons, I decided I needed a very simple Make for my first garment. The solution seemed to be to develop a pattern ! Not sure how these things happen. Life could be so much easier. However, after drafting my pattern and deciding on the fabric, everything worked out. Amazingly, I was able to overlock all the seams and my pattern was quite good (as a first draft). The fabric is a Navy/white stripe and a quite drapey, fine jersey.

                 
                       


The pattern will be called Gertrude, a suggestion from my husband ! Having made the prototype Gertrude Top, I think, I will alter the neckline slightly. The roll neck element is OK with the original cut but I’d like to make a second/third Gertrude with a slash neckline and scoop neckline. I feel the original neckline (as per the photo) could be improved (slightly) and would be better with a very slight dip at the throat point. The roll neck is able to successfully disguise the small fold at the bottom of the neck seam. The top is very wide and drapes beautifully.
I’ve overlocked all the seams and the sleeve/bottom edge of the top. I’m not sure about the length of the sleeves. I think, I need a 3/4 sleeve to compliment the wide cut of the top. I like the length but will also add an option to give a raised front and possibly a split seam on each side. I have lots of  suitable fabric so will make a second and third Gertrude. I’ll need to spend some time re drafting the pattern for the different versions and will make up detailed notes and an envelope for the pattern.
In addition, I want to test out more techniques for finishing the sleeve and bottom hems. I’ll share the technique experiments I’ve tried so far and show the results along with my final decisions for finishing over the next few days. I need the inside to be as neat as the outside, so the construction approach is very important to me.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with more news.


No comments:

Post a Comment