Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 26 November 2018

A Grand Day Out

Hi Everyone 
I’d like to share a few highlights from a little adventure. Last Friday, I went along to the Harrogate Knitting and Stitch Show with my husband for a Grand Day Out. This Show is a four day event held a couple of times each year. I’ve not been to this particular event before, although I’ve been to the Exhibition Centre many times. The venue is a couple of hours drive away from our home, so it was quite a long drive on Friday morning.
I have been quite excited about this trip and did lots of ‘thinking planning’ about how I wanted the day to pan out. I had a list of things to check out, mainly to do with planned/potential sewing projects. The Show is about knitting as well as sewing but I didn’t focus on knitting as such. My knitting inspiration will come from another trip in March, to the Edinburgh Yarn Festival.
The Harrogate Show venue is a series of very large halls with many different vendors as well as lots of mini exhibitions of work, workshops and catering options. It’s quite overwhelming. On entering the building, there was an enormous display of TOFT crochet animals, stunning and very impressive. After a good look around the first hall, it seemed to be lunchtime and we found ourselves next to the amazing Royal Hall, see bottom left image in my photo story. 

                 
The Royal Hall is a stunning Edwardian theatre, built in 1903 by Frank Matcham as a multi-purpose entertainment space for the rich and famous visitors to Harrogate’s spa. The building, actually part of the Exhibition Centre is stunning. The breathtaking interior design is reminiscent of a great ballroom from imperial Europe combined with the architecture of an old style British theatre and almost a thousand seats. We sat in the seats you can see in my photo story and it was magical. The hall has richly detailed architecture, a stage and little side boxes  with a table and a couple of chairs (no spaces for us in the side boxes). Lunch was simple takeaway sandwiches, cakes and coffee but the atmosphere in the theatre was amazing. I had no idea about this part of the Exhibition Centre, so such a lovely surprise. 
Over the next few days, having set the scene, I will take you through more highlights from the trip as well as observations about the event.

Thanks for calling in today. Come back tomorrow for the next instalment.


No comments:

Post a Comment