Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 30 November 2018

Harrogate Chat : Episode 5

Hi Everyone 
It’s the last chat about Harrogate today. I’ve been re living my visit (daily) to the Harrogate Knit and Stitch Show which happened last week - read back each day for more little stories about my Day. Today, I’m sharing fabric acquisitions. I didn’t go mad about acquisitions generally and I didn’t see huge amounts of fabric that I couldn’t get online or from my local fabric supplier. 
However, I did see the lovely fine corduroy in my photo story. This cord was on my look out for list. It was almost the last stand we visited and I had thought that I wouldn’t find any cord in a bright red. I bought this fabric from Bombay Stores and it was very reasonable price, amazingly good value. They has lots of very good deals. Contradicting myself, I could have bought lots of fabric from this stand but settled on the red cord and a couple of metres of fine cotton. I’ll feature the cotton next week and share an idea about what I want to make with it. Getting back to the cord, I want to make a skirt from the red fabric. I have a grey skirt (top right image) and would like to reproduce this unusual design. I bought the grey skirt but it’s a very simple design. The skirt has an ingenious stretch jersey waistband. The waistband is a simple fold over construction and is quite deep, almost from the natural waist to the hip line. This allows the skirt waistband to stretch over the head for ‘putting on’ but fit snuggly around the body when the jersey returns to its cut size. This stretch waistband can also allow the skirt to be slightly shorter or longer depending on where I place the band.

                      

The skirt design features a series of flat front/back pleats and a dramatic dipped hem. I like the dipped hem, so it will probably stay. The red jersey for the waistband was something I already had in my stash. I’d like to add some ‘in seam’ pockets to the red version, the grey skirt does not have pockets, a major omission !
My next move is to draft a pattern. This will be a simple job but I’m  keen to get the proportions right so will take my time. Hopefully, I will have my new skirt next week.

Thanks for calling in today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back with more stories on Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment