Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 28 November 2018

Harrogate Chat : Episode 3

Hi Everyone 
Today’s chat is the third episode remembering my Harrogate trip, last Friday (read about the it  here). I’m focusing on some lovely examples of what I’m calling textile Art. The Harrogate event highlighted lots of examples of textile Art from many different sources. However, the one that stands out for me is a series of artists working in a ‘pop up’ studio at The Event. I had a lovely time chatting with the artists and being inspired by their work. The artists in question are Amanda Hislop (here), Alison Hulme (here) and Jenny O’Leary (here). All the artists were working on landscapes using various paper, paint and printing medium with hand/machine stitching. My lasting impression was muted colours on wide landscapes with beautiful paper and very fine sheer fabrics. Take a look at some of their work for inspiration. I find the best way to see examples of their work is to go to Pinterest and type in each name. There’s loads of lovely examples.

                     


I love this sort of thing and am planning some similar experiments using my Gelli plates alongside freemotion embroidery. I’ve worked on textile Art many times over the years and find I need to spend time, every now and again, immersing myself in this sort of thing. Mixed media stuff is the way I’m going.
My photo story shows a few bits of work involving my own experiments over the last few years. I’ve developed a whole series of embroidered work this year (see the images in my photo story) and Gelli Plate printing is an absolute favourite. However, the simplicity and mark making of the worked examples I saw at Harrogate has given me new inspiration. I’m hoping to create something which I can use as surface pattern designs for fabric. I’d like to make a garment, probably a tunic or dress, in my design. All this new work will need to wait a while as I’ve got lots of stuff pending !

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with more about Harrogate.

No comments:

Post a Comment