Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 5 November 2018

Holiday Knitting

Hi Everyone 
I’m back from our little holiday. We had a lovely week in Whitby (North Yorkshire). It’s not too far away from our home but it’s a very different sort of environment. I think, I’m feeling rested ? There was no consistent access to internet so uploading any photos didn’t happen. The area is quite remote, a wild and rugged sort of place on the north east coast of the UK. I enjoyed just being away and spending lots of time doing very little. We came back on Friday and it’s almost a distant memory, already ! Such as life.
Anyway, I feel as if I’ve had a little adventure, so all is well. Alongside walking, overeating and drinking lots of coffee, I spent time knitting socks. I’m generally, knitting gift socks at the moment, so - I need to keep a consistent output over the next few weeks. The latest pair of socks, has contrast rib, heel and toes with a single row stripe for the main part of the sock. I’m using a ‘new to me’ method of striping the yarn. It’s something I picked up from Grace O’Neil. She uses the technique to alternate hand dyed skeins but it’s perfect for my striping technique. It’s a simple idea but very effective. Take a look at her video (via the link).

                      

I’m using my Miss Mitchell Garden Sock pattern for these socks. The socks are quite large (man size feet). The stripe is made using WYS sock yarn in two shades of blue. I have lots of this yarn in my stash, in several different colour. The stripe is subtle but the heel, toes and rib (in the brighter blue) make the stripes popI’m happy with the result. I’ve a few more pairs of socks to make and I’m thinking of using the stripe techniques again, perhaps with a more obvious colour contrast, next time.

Thanks for calling in today, I’ll be back tomorrow 


No comments:

Post a Comment