Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 29 November 2018

Harrogate Chat : Episode 4

Hi Everyone 
I’ve another little bit of news from Harrogate today. Read back a few days for more on the back story to Harrogate. This time, my chat is all about the purchase of a sewing pattern. Looking back, I think, this was probably the highlight of my Harrogate day. I didn’t plan to purchase this pattern and didn’t really think the design would suit me, prior to my visit. The pattern in question is The Madeline Robertson Jumpsuit and Dress from The Maker’s Atelier.
I’d seen this pattern in various publications, I have a couple of The Makers Atelier magazines, one of which details the story behind the pattern. This pattern has been designed by a student in an initiative called the Design Studio Project and commissioned by The Makers Atelier. The idea is to encourage fashion students and graduates to engage with the making process, focusing on the home dressmaker rather than the fashion industry. This means that the construction of the garments must be possible using a basic home sewing machine.

                       

Getting back to the Harrogate visit, I was very excited to see The Makers Atelier stand at the Event. Generally, I love all the garments in their Collections. I’ve often drooled over their designs. On the stand, at the Harrogate Show, I saw made up samples of all the pattern designs. What a treat. Every single garment is beautiful, the minimal lines of the design are complimented beautifully by exquisite fabric choices. I loved them all. 

I also had an opportunity to talk to the designer, Francis Tobin. Amongst general chat, we discussed the dress version of the Madeline Robertson pattern ( see my photo story image) and I noted that there was a second dress (almost identical) with a more fitted, set in sleeve. It turns out, the dress is a different pattern but looked very similar to me. I was quite keen, at this point, to acquire the pattern. However, I have a small, short upper body. My legs are relatively long but I often struggle with the waistline of garments being too long. I’m sort of a standard size but my proportions don’t always work. This second pattern (with the set in sleeves) is called The Relaxed Gather Dress and was the focus of my attention. I thought this would be more suited to my body shape. 

Francis, suggested I try on the Madeline Robertson dress, over my clothes (there was no changing facilities). She felt, the design would work for me. I tried on the dress, made from a beautiful silk fabric and it looked amazing. The fit was snug (over my clothes) but my initial reservations about the design on my body was immediately reversed. I loved it. My initial question mark was to do with the sleeves and how they would lie. I felt my short body would be swamped by the excess fabric at the place where I needed some definition ie around my waist. Everyone (the whole stand !) agreed how well the design suited my shape. I had to agree. Francis, then encouraged me to try on the jumpsuit. Again, I wondered if it would fit over my rather bulky jeans ? However, no problem and it looked and felt amazing. I loved the design. The jumpsuit looked better than the dress !

I would never have chosen this pattern, above lots of the other patterns in the Collection. Check the photo on the front of the pattern envelope (see my photo story) showing Madeline modelling her jumpsuit. She looks great but having tried on the jumpsuit (over my clothes) the fit was more defined on me and I like that. I prefer this fit. Both the garments I tried, were beautifully made and the fabric choices- exquisite. The jumpsuit sample was made up in a bright red crepe with a lovely drape and certainly makes an impact. I was totally convinced and bought the pattern.

At home and searching through my stash, amazingly, I found some dark green poly crepe. Perfect for the jumpsuit. I’m hoping there’s enough! My plan is to make up a wearable toile in the jumpsuit design with the green crepe and then acquire some red crepe (after refining the fit) and make another.
I really enjoyed visiting The Makers Atelier stand and loved my chat with Francis, definitely one of the highlights of the trip. I will remember this experience for a long time.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with my final chat from Harrogate.


No comments:

Post a Comment