Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 22 June 2018

Fibre Friday (22/6/18)

Hi Everyone 
It’s Friday again ! - I say this every week and can’t quite understand where my week has gone ? 
However, I’ve some exciting news on the fibre front. The crochet along (I did mention this last week - read back for background) has started and I’m underway. I was hugely enjoying the first 10 rows of the shawl and thought I’d done amazingly well, see my photo story at this point below. Then, after a few more rows, I noticed my little ‘bars’ in the centre of the pattern didn’t line up exactly. Initially, I quite liked the effect but having seen some other samples - all the centre bars seem to be lined up. I’m not an accomplished crocheter and always need lots of YouTube videos to get me through a pattern. Given my poor skills, I thought I was doing well. Having looked again, I think, I’d messed up with stitch counting. This is the single most difficult thing about crocheting for me. I seem to be continually confused when counting stitches at each end of a row - where to start and where to finish ! I’m usually fine with counting stitches within the row. As my shawl developed and more stitches were added, more stitch count issues emerged. I’d got to row 18 and my bars and stitch count just looked wrong ! The edges were not very neat and the centre bars looked like a meandering stream.

                     

All these little mistakes happened on day 1, 20/6/18. The project to date has been a great learning experience. I’ve sorted out the stitch counting thing and I’m much more confident about the organisation of my work. I’ve pulled out the work several times so I’m familiar with the pattern and the specific stitches. I’ve managed to learn the 2 row pattern and I’m very particular about stitch counting after each row. So, generally - I think I’m OK. 

There are lots of examples of finished ‘clue number 1’ on social media and these samples have helped me realise I’ve done a reasonable job. One  additional thing I’m thinking about is wether to include all my contrasting yarns in the project ? The shawl has a series of stripes in the pattern . I like the first few stripes. I have a few rows to go to get to the end of my ‘clue 1’ and  I think, I’m happy to leave out my 4th contrast colour. My other 3 yarns seem to merge well with the main yarn (as in my photo) and I think I’ll leave out the navy colour (4th yarn). I’ll report back next time. There will be many more issues for me re this project but I’m determined to get it right and I know my skills will improve. The next clue is published on 27/6/18.

Other fibre news, I’ve been working on the second sock of my latest Helen Stewart Sock Society pattern, the Astrantia sock. I’m well down the foot so hope to complete within the next few days. Pictures will follow next week. You can see images of my first Astrantia Sock on last Friday’s blog.

That’s about it for fibre stuff. I’ve been busy with life in general and my crochet CAL has taken up most of my fibre time this week. 

Thanks for calling in today. 
Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment