Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 22 October 2018

Pedestal Buttons

Hi Everyone 
I’ve been looking for a special kind of button or closure for some time and finally, an idea has arrived !  The inspiration for my new button came from browsing a week or so ago, after a couple of years of looking ! The button plan is specifically for a ‘wrap over’ hand knitted cardigan? The cardigan is a lovely mustard/yellow shade in soft Merino wool. Each time, I wear my cardigan, I’m disappointed with the look The cardigan design is a Waterfall shape but it’s not quite for me. I prefer the front sections of the garment to be flat and pinned in place. I feel the cardigan needs quite a large button to add a feature to the cardigan. However, there are issues about the weight of buttons and lack of button hole. I’ve also tried lots of different pins without success. There’s no guarantee that my pedestal button will do the job but I’m hopeful. Here’s a quick look at the idea :

                 
I found the original inspiration (bottom left image) from here. I love the simple, neat, round shape and feel it would work well with my cardigan. We have designed and made the button in house and it’s the prototype. My plan is to create a needle felted section in place of the leather. I do like the leather so may make a leather version too. The metal bit has been made on a metal lathe and may need different dimensions to accommodate how it’s to be attached through the cardigan. I’m hoping, I can separate the knitted stitches to allow the post of the new button to pass through. I think, it can work but I need to check this, later today.
Here’s a quick look at the cardigan in question. This image appeared on the blog several years ago and you can see the shape of the cardigan as intended Adrift by Carol Feller, the designer.

                      

I’ll report on the project when I have the other components of my button prepared and tested with the cardigan.

Thanks for calling in today.





No comments:

Post a Comment