Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 1 October 2018

The Bright Sweater Update

Hi Everyone 
Knitting The Bright Sweater has been challenging. I’ve restarted this beautiful sweater pattern several times and have made major changes along the way. However, given all that, I’m still very keen to keep going and make a good job. I’m not sure, with hindsight, why the project has taken so much extra work but I’ve definitely learned from the experience. Each time I’ve restarted, I wonder why I’ve made the initial mistakes ?
Last week, I reported, I was nearing the end of the body. As I was knitting, I had a sense that the body looked too big. I thought the length and the width felt it wouldn’t fit me. Having tried on the part made sweater, sure enough, it was way too long and a little wide. After, consideration, a large portion of the body needed to come out. Part of my problem with this decision was that the bottom of the body has lots of short row shaping and it seemed most of the shaping would be lost. As it’s turned out, I have retained some of the shaping, without taking too much of the knitting away. I’m back onto the long rib (30 rows) knitting and about a third of the way and all seems well.

          
Initially, I was a little unsure about the very long rib section of the body. I had some idea that the rib would nip in the waist, I don’t like the  fitted to the waist look in my sweaters. However, I think the rib will be fine and will be a great design feature. 
I’m looking forward to knitting the arms. See the patterned shoulder section of the arms (top left photo image). The design is very pretty and will be amazing, working all the way down the arm. The pattern looks complicated but it’s not difficult to knit. I think, I’d like to knit the arms with an extra few centimetres - to lie just beyond the wrist.
My last issue with the sweater is a major one. Part of the initial neck shaping involves a series of short rows, at the back of the neck. I’ve managed to create the shaping in the wrong place. The longer section is now on the side of the sweater (above a shoulder). This is a big issue. I can’t wear the sweater the way it is. My plan is to take the top section of the neck back from the upper yolk area (above the pattern). I will cut into the knitting and knit the pattern backwards to the top. I’m writing out the instructions in reverse. Fingers crossed, I can manage to solve the problem. I’m hopeful.
It’s going to be another week or so before I need to tackle the top but I’ll be sharing the process as a I go.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment