Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 15 October 2018

Leather Bag Update

Hi Everyone 
Today, I have a little news re the leather bag project featured last week on the blog. I’ve been spending time researching the job and decided to acquire some very basic tools. The tools have arrived. I’ve not tackled leather projects before and feel I’d like to make a good job of the bag. There’s not too much leather material, so don’t have the luxury of making mistakes. I’m hoping, if I do lots of research and preparation, I’ll make a good job of the project.
I have an idea of a small, chunky style handbag. I’ve created a Pinterest Board and found a couple of bag shapes which appeal to me. I’m planning to use the chosen shapes to work up a pattern and think through a construction approach.

                    

I especially like the bag (bottom right) as an initial style and shape. This bag is made from a textile rather than my leather material but I think the shape could work with the leather. My leather is very soft and pliable, to fabric like.  The only issue (wishful thinking at this stage !) seems to be the size of my leather pieces and I’m not sure I have enough ? I also like the shape of the other bag in my photo story (top right). I think, I may find the top bag construction will need less fabric than the bottom bag, so a combination of the two styles will hopefully work for me.
My next job is to make a pattern and test it out. I’ll make a paper bag first and check out the size as well as the shape. I’m hoping to create a bag which I can use and which will last, so it’s important to research more leather skills. I’ll report back when I have my paper prototype.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment