Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 September 2019

Recycling Projects

Hi Everyone 
Today, I’m sharing a new project to recycle a pre worn garment. I’ve done this sort of thing before but not necessarily as a thought out plan. My usual style is to do a quick alteration as and when I need to, often just before leaving the house (when something doesn’t fit) ! My approach at this time is to consciously look into my wardrobe or acquire a pre worn item to rework or restyle in some way.
I’ve been working towards a handmadewardrobe for some time now and feel the recycling approach needs to be part of that plan. I have lots of garments which lend themselves to being reworked and feel quite excited about the idea.

My first recycle project is a shirt, made for and by my husband. The shirt is too small for him and it’s proved difficult to change into anything for him. I like the surface print and the cotton fabric is beautifully soft. The obvious answer was to alter the garment to fit me.

                

I’m calling my garment a blouse rather than a shirt, just to mark the changes being made and easily reference the recycled item. However, I’m planning on keeping most of the shirt features. Currently, the sleeves are much too long and the shoulders have a very loose fit. The neck is oversized. The body needs some darts, probably both front and back. The length is also a bit long, although I’m wondering if the length will be fine when the darts are in place. I’ll need to assess the situation when I get there.

I’m hoping to develop a recycling programme over the next few weeks alongside any new sewing projects. I have identified six projects at the moment, from my wardrobe. I’ll be sharing all my recycled Makes here on the blog. Keep calling in to see what happens.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment