Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 24 September 2019

Sewing Hilda

Hi Everyone
Way back in August, I started a little sewing project. All was going well, you can read about my initial plans here. The project is a skirt, a very simple gathered skirt onto a shaped front waistband with an elastic section on the back on the band. I also wanted to line the skirt. For some reason, I find the need to give my designs a name. The name of this skirt is Hilda.

Holidays interrupted my progress and since, I’ve been struggling with decisions about how to construct the waistband. I’d prepared, pinned and temporarily attached the waistband to check the size and shape were suitable. All seemed to be good. Most of my indecision was wether to use a piece of elastic in the back of the waistband or use shirring elastic. The original inspiration came from a skirt in my wardrobe which used the shirring option, you can see the original skirt in the link. Eventually, I’ve come to the conclusion, a single piece of lightweight elastic will be best. The elastic will be hidden in the waistband and it’s all about doing a gentle gathering job. 

            

I (especially) like to produce very neat solutions to sewing construction, the inside needs to be just as good as the outside. Yesterday, I made good progress with Hilda. The skirt and waistband are sewn together. I’ve also overlocked all the layers together, so the lining, the main fabric and the waistband are all attached and neatly finished. I have a small open section on the back of the waistband (top line) which will allow me to slot in the elastic. I’m going to attach my elastic on the line of the side seam on either side of the waistband. The elastic will only fit across the back of the skirt. The fit is working well and the skirt sits quite low on the waist. I like this fit, I have a very short upper body and a high, tight waistband doesn’t suit me at all.
Today, I’m hoping to complete the waistband section and then it’s just the hems to finish. I may have time to complete my project ? Hilda is very much a Summer thing, however, I’m also thinking it would be fine with thick tights and boots for Winter. This revelation has spurred me on, I’ll share the finished garment when I’m there.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment