Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 26 September 2019

Spinning News

Hi Everyone 
I re-started spinning on a regular basis last week and have completed my first batch of yarn for quite some time. This is a bit of an experiment and Im not completely sure if I’ve got enough yarn for the project I’ve chosen ? You can read all about the details of the fibre I’ve used here.

          

So far, I’ve transferred the yarn to the niddy noddy (tool used to wind skeins of yarn). I will soak and dry the yarn today. It will be ready to knit in a few days. As you can see in my photo story (bottom left) - there was a little of the grey/blue yarn left so I created a small swatch to check the gauge. I’ve split the swatch and knitted half with 4mm and half with 6mm. Looking at the result, pre soaked, I quite like the smaller 4mm needle fabric. This may change after soaking/blocking. 
The garment I’ve chosen to knit with my yarn was featured here, earlier this week. The design is a sweater with a central front and back section, using a beautiful lace pattern. The pattern instructions combine an aran weight yarn with a mohair, held together. My own yarn, I would describe as a weighty double knit rather than Aran but the swatch is giving me the information I need to alter the numbers. I’m reasonably confident I can make the project work for me.
I will need much more yarn to finish my sweater, a mohair and additional aran weight yarn. The yarn I’ve created will only knit the central lace panels, so lots more thinking to do. I’ll keep you informed re all my decisions. At the moment, I’m planning on needing a month or so to complete my sweater, if all goes well.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment